31 December 2007

Special Family Outing

We ventured into the frigid temperatures today and drove up to Rexburg, along with Grandma & Grandpa, to attend the public open house for the LDS Rexburg Idaho Temple. It's a special opportunity to view the interior of the temple and learn about it's purpose prior to it's formal dedication. After the dedication, only those members of the LDS faith who follow a high moral code and Christian principals may attend for worship and instruction. 





This new temple is perched gloriously on a hilltop, gleaming white and meticulously constructed. The interior is absolutely stunning. Not ostentatious or over-done
 or extravagant, but elegant, tasteful and very very beautiful. The artwork is masterful, and includes original paintings (many by a favorite artist) and  several larger-than-life murals depicting the local landscape. The gleaming crystal chandeliers and sconces literally took my breath away, I've never seen anything so gorgeous. I especially loved the subtle and symbolic wheat motif and organic influences throughout the building, and expressed in the exquisite finish work. There is also a Frank Lloyd Wright feel to the stained glass windows. One cannot attend the open house and fail to sense the sacred, peaceful nature of this building. 




2 comments:

m e l said...

Oh, I'm headed their next weekend and am so excited about it. I think the last open house I went to was the Bountiful one - a long time ago. I am excited to take my 7 year old. He always has so many questions. Great post on it, by the way.

KJ said...

thanks...Bountiful, Portland, and Seattle (as a tiny child) are the others I've been to. Be sure to note the chandeliers...WOW!