31 December 2007

sparks flew...

I love New Year's Eve. I love the promise of a New Year, a clean slate, and 365 days waiting to be filled with triumphs and laughter and obstacles and memories. I love the revelry of this night, even though these days our New Year's Eve reveling is done here at home in our pajamas. December 31st holds special meaning for B and I: we met on this evening 8 years ago. And sparks flew. At least that's what B says. We always try to recognize this night in some little special way, usually avoiding any intoxicated crowds and just staying home with a fun dinner, treats, and Martinelli's sparkling cider. We're really going crazy this year with sparkling apple-grape. I know, we're completely out of control.

Tonight we'll be having a late dinner, assorted artery-clogging snacks, sparkling beverage and these little treats which are a favorite in our house. I found the recipe in In-Style magazine a few years ago and they are always a big hit!
Peanut Butter Butterscotch Squares
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 3 cups corn flakes
  • 2/3 cup butterscotch morsels, melted
  • 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted (I like to use just a bit more)
Combine corn syrup and sugar in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat once sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanut butter and corn flakes, spread in 8x8 inch baking dish coated with non-stick spray. Spread melted butterscotch morsels over the top and chill. Once the butterscotch is firm, drizzle with melted semi-sweet chocolate and chill again until chocolate is set. Cut into 2 inch squares and enjoy!
M will be sound asleep by 7:30pm, then we'll pop in a DVD, and kick back with the food and treats. (I think that's all we've done the past week!) We'll make a list of goals for 2008 together (I LOVE making lists, I LOVE crossing things off of said lists, I love NYE for all the year-in-review lists). Hopefully there will be some sparks, too. ;)
Happy New Year!

No comments: