30 November 2007

traditions

B and I are working on a Christmas tradition in our little family:  We began a collection of Holiday-oriented children's books a few years ago and the idea is that each evening in December, beginning with December 1st, we'll choose a different book to read as a family. Some with a spiritual message, others just for fun. Ultimately we will need 23 books, and then finish with the biblical account of Christ's birth on Christmas Eve. We love to browse bookstores each year to find a special story or 2, especially those with great illustrations. A few that we have so far:

Christmas Day in the Morning, by Pearl S. Buck
The Polar Express, Chris Van Allsburg
The Christmas Tapestry, Patricia Polacco
How The Grinch Stole Christmas, Dr. Suess
Nine Days to Christmas, Marie Hall Ets and Aurora Labastida (I read this over and over  when I was little; I was thrilled B found a used copy as the book is out of print) 

One I'm hoping to add to the collection is this version of the Nutcracker, by E.T.A. Hoffman and  fantastically illustrated by Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are). My mother received a copy many many  years ago and I've always envied it!

No comments: