31 October 2007

Boo! Humbug!


Aaaah, Halloween.  I am not the kind of person who greets this holiday with the utmost of enthusiasm...perhaps because of the influence of my parents, to whom this is the most pagan and ridiculous of all holidays. They begrudgingly carved pumpkins with us, and reluctantly took us trick-or treating. I used to think they were the Scrooges of Halloween. But, as time goes by, I become less and less excited about this day and more willing to take their perspective. I don't enjoy being frightened, cheap candy doesn't tempt me, and I don't like spending too much money on an outfit that will surely be uncomfortable, unflattering, and very shortly useless. 

B. is a professional educator and is thus obligated to honor this day with his students. Whoever coined the phrase "managed chaos" clearly had never experienced true chaos. Today, in my husband's classroom, I experienced this at a decible not previously known to mankind. Even some grown-ups are out of control today. Halloween brings out the worst in way too many people. And what's with teenagers ringing the doorbell, when the porch lights and jack-o-lantern  are dark, demanding sweets for their pillowcases?? And not even the decency to wear a costume? Really...leave it to the little kids; anyone over the age of 12 should have something better to do. Yes, I'll put on a happy face for my own children...M has a darling dragon costume, I have a jack-o-lantern on the porch and a bowl full of the good  candy by the door. Yes I'll cheerfully participate in future Halloween festivities for all my offspring...but, unlike Christmas or Independence Day, I'll be glad when it's over. 

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'm with you Kim - I don't like Halloween much at all. I always put on a happy face about it for the kids and get excited about their costumes, etc., but the truth is that I'm always happy to see it over with. M looked very cute in his dragon costume!