25 March 2010

vice


I love my little blog. I love how it has connected me with long lost friends, far away friends and friends I've yet to meet. I love how it serves to document and preserve, how with it I can put my thoughts down and be mindful of what kind of energy I'm sending out into the universe. I love how the land of blog is an endless source of inspiration, insight, humor, and tenderness. A place to rally the troops or be a shoulder for someone else's tears. I love that I can tune in our out as I choose, and participate in bloggishness when my real life permits.  The blog is free. And doesn't require hiring a babysitter.

Marta  formulated and presented a blogger's workshop of sorts recently with a few precious pearls of wisdom in regards to this thing we call the blog. It's true that many argue the internet is wasteful, that blogging is frivolous, that it's just a vice. Ooh. That stings a little. But I think it's only true if one wants it to be.  Via blogging I have found kindred spirits that have enriched my life. I have found a creative outlet. I found a cure for the loneliness I felt after I had my first baby and then moved to a small town in which I didn't know a single soul.  I have found a sounding board. I have found company in heartbreak, kinship clever words, and a place to show a little love imperfect as it might be. Sure beats watching reality TV.

A few clicks of the mouse give me something all to myself. A novelty in motherhood, where my home is not my own. My lunch is not my own. My sleep is not my own. My time is not my own. Even my shower is oft derailed by the needs of my family and ceases to be my own. But nobody ever messes with the blog.  It alone is my own. A vice it most definitely is not. An opportunity, a blessing, it most definitely is.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Amen to that. I wholeheartedly agree.

Katie said...

Good post! I love your blog, its one of my favorites!

marta said...

you worded this so perfectly. yes, the blog has more benefits than i once gave it credit for! carry on, please! and thanks for the link.

p.s. word about a date for book club?!

Ashley said...

you're such a great writer. Love it.