18 February 2010

hiatus

I'm on a spending hiatus. Not because I'm a compulsive spender, but because the winter blahs make retail-therapy all too easy to justify. And because there are lots of expensive projects on my to-do list. And because I just don't want more stuff. Months of hibernation, surrounded by all of my current stuff, has me feeling a little suffocated. Less stuff must equal more air, more peace. More zen. Or something.

A vacation is so much more appealing to me than more stuff. A fence is more necessary to me than more stuff. A pretty bedroom is more important to me than eating out or that thing from Old Navy that I just had to buy because it was so cheap and I would never have bought it except that it was on clearance and I'll probably hate it in 3 weeks because it will prove to be so cheap.  So, spending hiatus it is.


          

Instead of buying special Valentine packaging and ribbons and sprinkles and special treats and what not, I made do with the odds and ends on my craft shelf and in my pantry. Instead of throwing a big shindig for Nanuk's 1st birthday, we are keeping things small, sweet and simple. Instead of buying the beautiful lamps that would look really great in my light-and-style deprived living room, I'm tolerating the el-cheapo random light fixtures I currently have even though I think my living room looks like it belongs to college students. Maybe the lamps will get marked-down before they are sold out? Instead of fun high-maintenance treatments at the salon, I'll go the close-to-natural route (what grey hairs?). Instead of eating out once per week (even on the cheap), it's once or twice a month. Still on the cheap. Sticking to essential purchases only. Little things, all of these minor sacrifices for the greater good, but together perhaps they will equal the greater good. And a handsome fence to keep my wee babes corralled.

1 comment:

MartyE said...

Good for you, K. You're right. Why do we need more stuff? I am tired of picking up all of our stuff or washing and drying and folding all of our stuff and putting away all of our stuff! Enough stuff.
You'll feel so proud when you have your fence.