"Leave nothing for tomorrow which can be done today."
--Abraham Lincoln

It's Abraham Lincoln's Birthday today. Certainly worth honoring with a bit of reverence. He led a humble yet fascinating life, displayed immeasurable wisdom though he was self-schooled by candlelight. He endured tragic hardships and heartaches but also earned great respect and honor. A man of modesty, faith, and determination plus decency and goodness in general.
Several years ago, I was on a business trip in Illinois. A portion of my business was conducted in Springfield, where Lincoln lived and is buried. With a spare couple of hours before my departing flight, I visited his home, and then his tomb. I was alone, the weather was mild, there were few people about when I arrived at the lovely park where he lay inside the granite and marble rotunda. On the walls are engraved the words of his Farewell Address, the Gettysburg Address and portions of his second Inaugural Address. As I stood and read his words, his beautiful, timeless, simple words, I was struck with reverence. Goosebumps (not the spooky kind) and a pang in my heart reinforced that I was indeed on sacred ground. What a world that could exist would there be another man, flawed though he surely was, like Abraham Lincoln.

I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day.
--Abraham Lincoln
3 comments:
Truly an amazing man. PBS has been airing specials on him this last week, (although we've missed them), and my dad is currently reading 'King of Rivals' tells the story of those he appointed as his cabinet members, all rivals. Says he can't put it down.
I think the book is "Team of Rivals" and Brady has read it--loved it. Supposedly Obama is modeling his cabinet after Lincoln's. We DVRd some of the specials so we can watch them this weekend. He managed to persevere despite so many awful tragedies!
You said it just right, sister friend!
Post a Comment