07 February 2009

Baby Shower 101

While my boys were away, I hosted a baby shower for a young new mommy. Her first baby, a boy, due 1 week after mine. A casual, low-key affair that did not involve candy bars and diapers or toilet paper. It did involve plenty of candid conversation about pregnancy, body morphing, birthing, and babies, of course.
The menu: breakfast tea sandwiches, banana crunch muffins, fresh fruit and apple dip, chocolate covered strawberries, and cookies. It was a group effort, thanks to kind friends.
The favors: heart-shaped cookie cutters tied with bows and a sweet baby poem
The atmosphere: a little bit valentine, a little bit baby. I think the banner turned out rather cute, if I do say so myself!
The activities: Q & A. My favorite question: will my boobs ever be the same again?
Congratulations to Miss Kelli on a new little valentine-to-be.
note to self: do not attempt vacuuming & dusting the entire house, making party food, cleaning the kitchen and assembling party favors all in the same evening when you are 8+ months pregnant. You will not be able to move the next day and your guests may think you rude for not escorting them upstairs to the door.

10 comments:

Mike and Jenny said...

I thought you said you weren't going all out?! Looks amazing. You always have the cutest ideas. Hope you crashed afterward.

KJ said...

everything was really simple and inexpensive, and someone else made the cookies and the muffins. the flowers were a little splurge, but I get to enjoy them for a long time. I didn't get to crash after-M & B got home just after the shower. So, I had to do their laundry and get M bathed. They were so dirty and smokey!

Petit Elefant said...

The pictures are fantastic. Looks like it was a smashing success!

Bates Blogger said...

You are amazing. And creative. And at 8 months pregnant, holy cow!

Elizabeth said...

I'm so sorry I had to miss it. Careers are highly overrated - especially when they require manning a booth at a health fair where people want to confess all their unhealthy habits to you and then expect you to tell them how to fix them. I always want to say, "start with decreasing your Twinkie intake to 6 a day". Just kidding....

Baby showers are much more fun and I'm sorry I couldn't be there. It sounds lovely!!

KJ said...

elizabeth--we missed you. let's hope some people take your twinkie advice to heart. pun intended. I tried to save you a chocolate dipped strawberry, but there's a pregnant person in my house and well, treats like that just don't have a long life span.

MartyE said...

I am so glad it went so well, you fantastic host, you!

marta said...

wow. i'm so impressed. what a fantastic shower and i love the favor idea, i'll have to borrow that for my next party. take it easy this month, your about to have your hands full!

Jack Attack said...

cute. wanna throw me a shower?
(p.s. did you have a shower for #2)

KJ said...

Brit: I'd love to throw a shower for you--with lots of chocolate. Too bad I'm not in Vegas. And noshower for #2--most everything is in good shape from M and #2 is also a boy. I do get to purchase some new seasonal outfits as this baby will be the wrong size for M's summer/winter things. Yay for me!