25 January 2009

baby prepping

Also called nesting. I'm a notorious nester. Gotta have every little thing in order, be completely prepared (which includes a name!) before Nanuk makes his debut. The lists are made and edited weeks and weeks in advance. I sleep better, I'm calmer, and better able to deal with the impending arrival of baby and of my mother when projects are complete, things are in their proper place, and the house is sparkling. (Let's just say not all moms are helpful).  I don't want to think about these silly things once the new one comes home, I'd rather relax and enjoy the newborn days. So, I'm in serious nesting mode. It's making B a little crazy because the notions of "organized" and "plan ahead" and "finished project" are low on his priority list. Too bad for him much of my nesting obligations require his assistance--power tools, heavy lifting and such. Under 7 weeks to go. The list is lengthy.

  • get new dresser for the nursery check
  • sew crib bedding & mobile 
  • hang artwork in the nursery
  • stock up on dipes, baby wash, etc.   check
  • launder and put away newborn clothes  check
  • finish upholstered headboards for 2 bedrooms  check (one down, one to go)
  • clean and sanitize everywhere check
  • get car detailed
  • get infant car seat out of storage and install
  • organize special surprises for the big brother check
  • clean and sanitize everywhere
  • finish restoring M's rocking chair
  • clean and sanitize everywhere
  • organize pantry; every closet actually check
  • prepare meals for the freezer check
  • purchase a new mommy tote bag (ok, so this is a luxury nesting item...)
  • clean and put away baby bottles
  • pack overnight bag check
  • clean and sanitize everywhere
  • purchase journal for Nanuk check
  • clean and freshen bassinet and linens  check
  • clean and sanitize everywhere
All awaiting completion. Only then will my nest be properly feathered. Think I'll make it?

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You'll make it. You're amazing!! You'll be exhausted, but you'll make it. How can we help?
(P.S. It took me forever to find your blog - but there you were - residing quietly on our friend Joy's list. Glad I found you!)

MartyE said...

That's a long list that couldn't be completed by anybody else but a nesting mom!!

Aranne and Dan said...

Wow... looks like you have a lot of things you want to get done.. Remember to take it easy and not stress to much. The little one will have no idea if the car is clean on their first ride home!!

Front Porch Friend. said...

find a friend to watch Max should the baby's arrival not coincide with when the grandma can come. Check! That's me!