13 November 2008

Bad Dreams and chocolate turkeys

Before I crawl under my covers at night, I stop in M's room to check on him and make sure he's cozy. Minutes after doing so late Monday night, I heard hysterical sobs coming from his room. Unmistakable "bad dream" sobs. Holding, snuggling, or talking made the crying worse; nothing could settle him. We went to the kitchen. A drink? A snack? And then words came..."punkin bag! punkin bag!" (his trick or treat bag full of candy I'd tucked away on the top shelf of the pantry) I gave it to him, he wouldn't take it. Eventually he made clear to us what he wanted: the turkey-shaped chocolates in bright turkey-printed foil I'd hidden on the top shelf of the pantry. He spied a corner of the wrapper peeking from behind the dish and knew instantly what it was. "That! That! Birdie! In there!" As he continued to cry, I put the chocolate turkey in the "punkin bag" and handed it over. Like I turned off a faucet, his crying ceased and he reached into the bag. Good grief. Of all the things...I still don't know if that's what he wanted all along or if he was making it up by the minute.

Quote: "Oooooh! Birdie! What d'you find? Ooooooh! Choc'at!" Then silence and smiles as he nibbled away, with an occasional "Choc'at, I wike it!" Why I had to first get the bag, then put the turkey in it is a mystery. I'm fairly certain I was manipulated beyond measure, but B and I both giggled as we observed the transformation, and giggled some more as M fell fast asleep between us. He just couldn't be our child if a wee bit o' chocolate couldn't cure the bad dream blues.

2 comments:

Greg Hanson said...

great post. love those moments of in-sleep delirium.

aurora said...

too cute- i go for chocolate when i am crying, too... ;-)