Some friends recently referred to me as a "pushover mommy", mainly on the point that M still has a chupa (pacifier) at bedtime. OK, fine, yeah, it's been hard for me to take it away from him and easy to find reasons to let him keep it. I'm getting there. In other areas though, I feel I'm a toughie: Balanced meals, whatever is prepared. Please and Thank You. Baths nightly. No video games. The Naughty Corner--until the timer dings and he apologizes with hugs. Bedtime and naps are observed with great regularity.
I am, however, a sucker for one thing that's certain: snuggles. I welcome each and every opportunity for snuggles and cuddles from my little M. Like when he wakes up in the night crying "Afraid! Afraid!" Like when he wants to read stories and plants himself firmly in my lap and rests his head against my chin for story after story. And like tonight.
Our bedtime routine has been challenged lately, with the introduction of the "big boy bed." Going to bed is not the problem, but staying in bed is. We finally put a lock on the outside of his door. After 25 minutes of sobbing and pounding last night, he fell asleep on the floor up against the door. Tonight it took only 20 minutes. A couple of hours later we moved him to his bed and he asked for a song in his half sleeping state. A verse of
"Jesus Once Was a Little Child" then B left the room. I laid down next to M and stroked his forehead as he began to drift. A few minutes later, he turned his face close into mine, smiled and softly whispered "More. Jesus."
Who could resist?
I obliged and continued to stroke his forehead until his breathing deepened and his limbs relaxed. As I rose from the bed he bolted upright, asking me to lay down. I willingly obliged again. As he began to drift off to la-la-land, he rested his feet upon my side, and, eyes closed, took my hand in his, placed it on his chest, and squeezed. With one soft little hand he clutched my thumb, with the other he stroked my fingers.
Again, who could resist?
There I stayed until his hands fell to his side in deep slumber. Reluctantly I made my exit. I will snuggle him as long as he needs. Or, rather, as long as I need. Because I do need, as I need oxygen to breathe. I know these sweet tender moments are bound to disappear all too soon. I haven't the desire nor the will to resist them now, despite his frequent 2-year-old-naughtiness. If it makes me a pushover, well, I'm OK with that.
Come on, could you resist this?
5 comments:
I'll join your club...Jack still has his binkie (for sleeping only). It makes night time easier and allows me a few hours a day to do what I need while he naps (selfish, I know). At least M is in a big boy bed. Still haven't broken Jack into one-partly b/c I don't want to spend the $ right now, partly b/c I don't want to admit he is growing up.
I say cherish the moments he wants to snuggle b/c pretty soon our little ones are going to be too cool for us. you're doing a good job.
Oh my gosh. So cute. I would be a pushover too. I agree cherish those moments.
How precious, that story just melts my heart. He is so adorable. I agree, hold on to those moments before they are long gone. I'm sure I'll be a pushover too : )
Be a push over and enjoy. Pacifiers rock. With a new baby around the corner life will change quicker than you're ready for. Take all the time you can and snuggle to your hearts desire. Next thing you know, he'll be 12 and passing the sacrament. A has grown all to quickly, but he is still a lovey snuggle bug. I'm sure hormones will kick in this year and I will no longer be cool. Oh the tears I will cry.
I agree. Enjoy all of the snuggles that you can. And no, I don't think that I could resist! What a little cutie!
I was never a pacifier mommy until I finally had a pacifier baby! And she loved it and loved it. She had it in her bed only until she was... well, about 3 1/2. We both lived to tell the tale. ;)
Post a Comment