It's there, just lurking around the corner, leaving hints in the morning air and evening breezes.
Autumn. It's coming.
While I truly love all that summer has to offer, Autumn is hands down my favorite season. Lingering summer blossoms, a crispness in the air, golden afternoon sunlight, apples and pumpkins and comfort foods, cute boots and sweaters--practically my uniform and my favorite things to wear, the unmistakable aroma of Fall, and the new school year and stores brimming with pencils, crayons, notebooks. It's all like a tonic for me. For me this season signals the beginning of a year, a fresh start, even more so than New Year's Day, with annual rituals that are refreshing and comforting.
I clean. Really really clean. Everything. Summer clothes get packed away along with summer toys. Warmer linens dress the beds. Windows are thrown open. The yard gets all spiffy and tidy.
I cook. My attempts at preserving summer's edible glory line freezer and pantry shelves. Comfort food recipes are revisited. The last remaining popsicles are eaten.
I plan. Goals are set. My B is back in action in his own classroom, with a closet full of pressed shirts. Our calendars are bespeckled with activities and obligations. Our happy little routine is reinstated.
I love it. I welcome it. New and clean and full of possibilities. Though it seems all too soon, I'm ready.

2 comments:
I wish I could relate. We are still experiencing 105+ days. Autumn is my favorite season also, but not here in the desert. It just goes from brown to browner. I think I'll make a trip up north to see the leaves changing and satisfy my need for color.
Fall is absolutely my fav season as well!!!
Post a Comment