30 June 2008

Small Town 4th

I love Independence Day.  Sunshine,  American pride, fireworks, friends and all kinds of great food--the kind that would render guilt any other day of the year. I remember once spending the 4th with family friends at a gorgeous old home in Seattle. From the deck we could look out over the Puget Sound and see both the Fratelli's and Ivar's fireworks displays. I recall other 4ths: church  pancake breakfasts on Lake Washington, watching my older brother and the neighbor boys attach slugs to their fireworks (ick),  a small-town parade in Afton, WY.  Just prior to becoming engaged, B and I spent the 4th in Idaho Falls, with his family, in a balcony hotel room overlooking the falls. Plenty of fried chicken, strolls along the greenbelt, and fantastic fireworks on the falls. There's something about a small town 4th of July...

Local July 4th,  2008
plenty of shady spots to stake out
anyone for funnel cake or a game of giant twister?
largest fireworks show this side of the Mississippi!
[photo via bhg.com]

1 comment:

Front Porch Friend. said...

I'm not sure you had permission to post a photo of my house on your blog. Ask first, next time, okay?
We actually got ENGAGED on the
4th, so it holds a special place in our hearts, as well. If you know of any shady places for the parade, let me know! The girls and I are thinking of walking over. Some years we just skip it!