25 May 2008

Rhubarb

Inspired by the fresh rhubarb available at the farmers market? We love this recipe from my hilarious Aunt J. Sorry, no photos, the dessert didn't last long enough. Similar to a fruit crisp, but with the "crisp" part (my favorite part) on the top and the bottom.

Rhubarb Crunch
Cut together :
1 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. quick oats
3/4 c. melted butter
Press half of this mixture into bottom of 8x8 pyrex baking dish. Reserve the rest for topping.
Add to baking dish :
4 c. fresh rhubarb, finely chopped. (about 1/2 inch pieces)
Make sauce:
1 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla.
Stir sugar and cornstarch together, then add water and vanilla. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and continue stirring until thickened and clear. Pour over rhubarb. Sprinkle remainder of flour and oat mixture over the top. 
Bake at 350 for 1 hour.   Serve warm with good vanilla ice cream!

6 comments:

Petit Elefant said...

Oooh yum! You know what else I want to make this summer? Rhubarb fruit leather. My neighbor made it growing up and it was soooo yummy.

MartyE said...

That is uncooked rhubarb, right? I've printed this recipe off and am taking it with me this summer. It sounds incredible.

KJ said...

Rhubarb fruit leather? I'd totally try that. Got a recipe to share?

Yes, FRESH. I corrected the post to clarify. Hope you enjoy it.

Jack Attack said...

i had a rhubarb pie once at my grandma's growing up and didn't really like it. might have to visit the farmer's market this week and check out the stock and give it a try. thanks for the recipe.

Petit Elefant said...

I'll find the recipe and get it to you. Mixed with strawberries or something. Yum....

kelly said...

yum! yum! this sounds great!