Moving to a new town necessitates the critical process of finding a new stylist. I asked a few lovely people, and they recommended a guy we'll call Bob. That's not really his name.
Bob gave M his first haircut, which was great, and he was patient with the little guy. He gave me a decent cut also and we got a long famously in spite of his many oddities. Not the least of which being the many dozens of photos of just himself plastered all over his booth. Everywhere.
Anyway, I called Bob on Saturday to get an appointment this week before our trip. Short notice, I know, but I wasn't going to get my car back until Monday (yesterday) and a girl's gotta try when it comes to the hair. I couldn't reach him and tried again on Monday. This was our conversation:
Me: Hi, Bob, this is Kim, how are you?
Bob: Oh. Hi. I'm fine
Me: Good. I'm hoping you have some time this week for a cut and highlights...I just got my car back today, I'm going to Seattle soon and I need to look pretty. I know it's short notice...
Bob: I can do your hair Wednesday at 1:00
Me: Hmmmm...anything in the afternoon? That's much better for me, since I don't have a sitter for my little boy. Anything at all in the afternoon?
Bob: No, nothing this week.
Me: Ok then, let's look at next week after my trip. Say the 23rd around 4:00?
Bob: Ok, the 23rd at 4:00
Me: That's perfect, thanks. Will you please call me if you get an afternoon cancellation this week? I'd really appreciate it.
Bob: Oh, yeah.
Me: Thanks tons, see you on the 23rd.
What you can't sense from the text-version of this is an ever so slight prima-donna vibe. His, not mine. Fast Forward to Monday night.
Late Monday night I spoke with my friend, the lovely Heidi, who referred Bob in the first place. I mentioned in our conversation I had tried to get a hair appointment and blah blah blah. She sweetly offered, insisted even, to take little M for me so I could take that Wednesday at 1:00 appointment. I said I'd call Bob in the morning to switch my date.
Fast Forward to 9:30 Tuesday morning. That's today.
Just before I called Bob to see about the Wednesday appointment, Heidi called him to see if he could fix the color job he'd done for her last week (too blonde). He offered her Wednesday at 1:00 and she mentioned that she wanted me to have that slot. Heidi called me to tell me she'd mentioned it to him. I promptly called Bob and this was our conversation, please insert major prima-donna attitude as you see fit. And I promise you, it fits:
Me: Hi, Bob! Great news, Heidi is taking my little boy Wednesday so I can take that 1:00 if it's still available, is it? (I already knew that it was).
Bob: [enormous audible sigh] [exaggerated snippy tone and quick pace] You really need to start making up your mind about your appointments, this is really making me mad. [enormous audible sigh] It's just ridiculous. It's really irritating me. [hmmmmf!] Do you want Wednesday at 1:00 or not?
Me: [calmly and sweetly] I'm really sorry to complicate things, Heidi and I thought this would be easier. I'd love to come Wednesday at 1:00. But, if it's upsetting you I can go somewhere else.
Bob: [enormous audible sigh and very staccato tone] Fine! Then. I guess I'll see you Wednesday at 1:00 then
Me: Thanks so much that will be great.
Bob: FINE [click]
Grrrr! After I spoke with Bob, Heidi called me to say that she had just received a snippity text message from him about her fix-it appointment, and about me and how I'm "a bad client." We are both amused. I think it's safe to say that after Wednesday at 1:00 Bob will have 2 fewer scheduling issues named Kimberly and Heidi.
5 comments:
Let's hope that "Bob" doesn't take his frustrations out on you hair!
That is TOO funny! I think that he has been watching too much reality tv!
Oh my...Rebecca echoed my sentiments exactly. Do you want someone who's in a "snippety" mood cutting your hair?! Ack!
my plan is thus: take the appointment (i'm long overdue), kill him with kindness and buttering-up to ensure a good cut (let's hope he's "over it"), and then kick him to the curb. He can't be the only good gig in a small-ish town! If only you could have heard with your own ears...the voice, the affect, the drama the attitude!
I know of a few good ones in town... one is really hard to get into though(2 months) and the other is usually booked out like a week or so. Anyways, the next time ur needing your hair done, let me know and I will pass them on to you:)
Post a Comment