12 November 2007

googling

Have you ever tried "googling" yourself? (go ahead, admit it!) I did just now and discovered that there are some very intelligent, interesting and successful people with my name. A journalist embedded in Iraq. An English professor at BYU (ironic, because that was my major at BYU) who is also a published poet. A geology professor at UNLV. A public relations specialist for Macy's (also ironic as PR was my major, for awhile). A journalist for National Geographic. A VP of Investor Relations for a major financial institution. A biker group coordinator--as in Harley Davidsons--in Houston. Another writer, freelance, in Southern Utah. Assistant Dean of Instruction at UC Berkeley. An M.D. and fellow at Columbia Univeristy. A Children's Book Author in South Carolina. A doctor (family practitioner) in Michigan.  A professional actress (according to IMDB), an attorney in Minneapolis. An architect for Disney (also ironic). The list goes on and on. It really makes me wonder what I really could have done with my life--I considered some of these avenues very seriously at one time. It also makes me wonder if any old friends or boyfriends have "googled" me and think I might be one of these fascinating people. That's assuming I'm worth a "google."  Even funnier is that I could probably look at every listing under my name and still not find the actual "me!"  I feel like I've done a lot, yet I've done almost nothing. Makes you wonder: What's in a name?

No comments: